How do I submit a VAT refund claim for goods exported by post? /

If an online store has shipped your goods directly to your non-EU address, please register your invoice as 'cargo' in your account.

Find out what documents you need to submit here.

Follow the steps below to submit your claim:

1. Add a receipt and choose the option 'register a CARGO receipt'

2. After filling in your receipt details, choose the option 'By post, sent by the (online) shop'

3. Upload your 'Confirmation of shipment' and 'POD'. You can find more information about these documents here.